Bedrooms available for rent:
- One large top floor double room with en-suite bathroom, 15 soles per person/per night (22 soles per night single occupancy)
- One upstairs twin room with en-suite bathroom, 15 soles per person/per night (20 soles per night for single occupancy)
- One upstairs twin room with shared bathroom, 12 soles per person/per night (15 soles per night for single occupancy)
- One upstairs single bedroom with shared bathroom, 15 soles per night
- One downstairs single bedroom with shared bathroom, 15 soles per night
- One downstairs basic single bedroom with shared bathroom, 12 soles per night
Prices include electricity, gas and water. No food is included. Volunteers are expected to clean their own bedrooms. Bathrooms are shared by a maximum of 3 people.
Huanchaco is a very nice, pleasant small town to live and work in. Huanchaco is on the beach on the outskirts of Trujillo, and has become a lively tourist town thanks to some of the best waves on the Peruvian coast.
All public buses pass very close to the house and can take you to Trujillo in 20 minutes, and pass through many of the project locations on the way. Public transportation in Peru is extremely affordable, with a return trip to Trujillo from Huanchaco costing only 3 soles.
[View from the front gate]
The Otra Cosa Network Volunteer House is the former family home of OCN Directors Peter and Juany Murphy and operates as both the OCN Office and space for up to 7 OCN volunteers. The house is situated 5 minutes walk from Huanchaco beach, in a relatively quite area of town but also close to all amenities and the lively Calle Los Pinos.
This comfortable, modern, white house and lovely garden (with passion fruit trees) is divided into several areas. On the ground floor is the kitchen and lounge/dining room for common use by volunteers and a separate area with the two downstairs bedrooms and shared bathroom. On the first floor are all three upstairs bedrooms, shared bathroom and office space (and Operations Manager's accommodation). On the second floor is the OCN Office, a large single, en-suite bedroom, and an open roof space for use by volunteers to wash and hang laundry in the summer months.
Hot water is available 24 hours a day, a very uncommon privilege here in Peru! There are three shared bathrooms, two with showers, for common use with maximum three people sharing each shower. We also have a Wi-Fi internet connection available for volunteer use.
We need sensible, mature volunteers with respect for our organisation, the Volunteer House rules and other volunteers and neighbours. This is not a party house, but volunteers can make this comfortable setting their home in Peru. For this reason we have set a minimum age requirement of 21.
[Communal Outside Area]
The Volunteer House is a very affordable option for accommodation in Huanchaco, especially in the summer months (December – March) when local hostels raise their prices. Reservations in the Volunteer House are preferenced towards volunteers who have signed both the Housing Contract and the Volunteer House Rules prior to arrival in Huanchaco.
Other OCN volunteers are only allowed into the Volunteer House as invited guests of the current residents, and any large gatherings must be approved by the Operations Manager in advance. The Volunteer House Rules apply to all resident’s guests at all times. Please understand that we only have one Volunteer House and we need to keep it clean and safe for both current and future volunteers.
Services provided in the house (These may change from time to time so please check with us in advance of your arrival if any of these features are particularly critical to you):
- Single bedrooms: Yes
- Twin bedrooms: Yes
- Double bedrooms: Yes
- Sheets: Yes (sensible to bring a spare set to facilitate washing)
- Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner: No
- Shared bathrooms: Yes
- En-suite bathrooms: Yes (only in upstairs twin bedroom)
- Hot Water: Yes, 24 hours a day
- Toilet Paper/Hand Soap in Bathrooms: Yes
- Kitchen: Yes, fully equipped with kettle, cooker, blender, fridge, storage space
- Surf Board Storage: Yes
- Bicycles: Yes, OCN has some aged bikes available for use, please ask Operations Manager
- Washing Area: Yes, with drying lines (no washing machine)
- Telephone: No
- Computer: No
- Wi-Fi Internet: Yes
- Garden: Yes
- TV: Yes (two local channels only) and a DVD Player