The main objective of Otra Cosa Network (OCN) is to offer consistent help and support to the small community projects we work with in and around Huanchaco, in Trujillo and in northern Peru. Our work mainly involves providing assistance in education, social, health and sports development.
OCN both promotes and develops volunteering across our projects. We provide support to our twenty five different volunteering initiatives which assist in the access and participation of children, women and men to education and training. Most recently this can be seen in the creation of HELP Women and the promotion and encourgement of a woman's equal right to education, employment and a fair wage.
Initiatives we continue to support:
- Assisting with the construction and development of a shanty town school in Ramón Castilla that now provides over 250 children with access to a genuinely free education. Most recently we helped build an on-site bakery which provides both a sustainable income to the school and employment to local mothers.
- Capacity building workshops with all our project managers to promote better co-ordination between OCN and our projects amongst other skills
- Helping to provide specially adapted computers to benefit blind children in Tulio Herrera León
- Training over 25 special needs teachers to fully utilise their skills working with children with special needs
- Providing an isolated village school in the mountains with musical instruments and IT equipment through generous donations
- Providing medical care to the residents of Huanchaquito through our support of the medical clinic with donated supplies
- Supporting ex-street children in a safe home where they can recover and begin to rebuild their lives through education
- Training young people in artesian crafts they can use to earn a living and support their family
- Promoting the interest and participation of other local, regional, national and international groups and organisations to help sustain our projects
Otra Cosa Network created initiatives:
- HELP English: providing underprivileged members of local communities with free English language lessons
- HELP Women: encouraging local women to demand more for themselves both in education and employment
- HELP Community: providing the children of an extremely poor community with a safe place to enjoy their childhood
With your help we could do even more. You can help OCN to help others by donating your time or your money, anything you can offer can make a big difference. Learn more about the situation in Peru here.